These chewy bites are delicious at any time of the day and have a little boost of protein whenever you need it!Jump to Recipe
Nutritious yet delicious snacks are a big deal in our house. We all have our favorite savory and sweet selections and special spots to stash them away! My goal has been finding ways to create treats that taste like an indulgence but secretly are packed with quality nutrition. These spiced cashew coconut bites are exactly that kind of treat.
The Ingredients for Spiced Cashew Coconut Bites:
I have been making a variety of different protein bites/balls for years now. They follow a similar formula: nut base, Medjool dates, plant-based protein powder, plant-based fat and flavorings. The base for these spiced cashew coconut bites starts with the cashews, vanilla protein powder and almond butter. Unsweetened coconut, vanilla, cardamom and nutmeg give them their personality
The dry ingredients go into the food processor first to make sure that they can be broken down before anything “sticky” is added.
Having a little texture is desirable, but no big chunks of nut or coconut before adding in the dates.
Once the dates, almond butter and vanilla are processed in, the mixture starts to come together like a dough. You want to have enough moisture for the mix to stick together easily. If it seems too dry, add a teaspoon of water at a time until you achieve the right consistency.
Once your mix feels right, the scooping and rolling begins! I prefer to use a small cookie or truffle scoop for evenly sized balls and less sticky hands. You can also use a tablespoon measure or just eyeball/feel for the size you want to create.
Simply roll the balls in your palms until they are smooth and store in an airtight plastic or glass container in the refrigerator. These spiced cashew coconut bites are easy to transport and will stay fresh in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.
Spiced Cashew Coconut Bites
- Food processor
- Small cookie scoop
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I like Garden of Life Grain-Free Smooth Vanilla)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch cardamom and nutmeg
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- ¼ cup raw cashew butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine cashews, coconut, protein powder, salt and spices in food processor and blend until fine. Add dates and process until mixture looks like sand. Mix in cashew butter and vanilla and add a little water if needed to bind everything together.
- Using a small scoop, form the mixture into balls, rolling with your hands until smooth. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator. Makes 24-30 balls depending on scoop size.