Pistachio Pearls are a festive variation on the classic Wedding Cookie using pistachios and matcha powder for a gorgeous green hue.Jump to Recipe
Wedding cookies are a very popular holiday cookie and found in many different cuisines. My grandmother always made her “Swedish Cakes” with Brazil nuts which I still enjoy baking to this day. These Pistachio Pearls are just a more colorful version of the classic and are gluten and dairy free! They are also infused with one of my favorite ingredients–matcha powder! I drink a lot of matcha lattes and also love cooking and baking with matcha as a flavoring and color enhancement. My favorite brand is Jade Leaf. I have been using their organic matcha powders for years and they are also a great team of people! This is the variety I use for baking:
The Pistachio Pearls are best mixed in a food processor so that the nuts can be ground into the almond flour. Solid coconut oil is used for the fat and honey as a sweetener. For a vegan version, maple syrup could be substituted.
Once the dough is mixed, small balls are formed using a cookie scoop or spoon and rolled until smooth.
The cookies only bake for about 7 minutes before they start to brown, so keep a close watch on the oven!
After cooling the cookies, roll them in confectioner’s sugar to create a snowball effect. Some of this sugar will be absorbed by the fat in the cookies, so it is best to give them a second rolling before serving. If you want to freeze these cookies, wait to coat them with the powdered sugar until after thawing.
These Pistachio Pearls are such a lovely and festive holiday treat. They are also just perfect for Fika time!
- 3 cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons matcha powder
- 1 cup raw, shelled pistachios
- 4 tablespoons solid virgin coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Confectioner's sugar, for rolling
- In a food processor, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, matcha and pistachios. Process until pistachios are in fine pieces. Pulse in coconut oil, honey and vanilla until dough comes together.
- Use a tablespoon–sized cookie scoop or spoon to measure out balls and roll them in your hands until smooth.
- Place on parchment-lined cookie sheets and bake at 325° for about 7 minutes until just starting to brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Roll balls in confectioner's sugar to coat. Roll once more before serving. Makes about 3 dozen delicious cookies.
Tips for Success:
- Use raw green pistachios rather than roasted and salted ones so that you get a sweeter flavor.
- For a vegan option, substitute 3 tablespoons maple syrup for the 4 tablespoons honey.
- Watch the cookies carefully in the oven, as they will start to brown quickly!
- Roll the balls once to coat and then once more to freshen up before serving.