Sweet Mustard Sauce is a classic accompaniment for gravlax or other fish, chicken or pork recipes.Jump to Recipe
Sweet Mustard Sauce is a classic that is found on Nordic tables throughout the year. In Sweden it is often called Hovmästarsås or ‘headwaiter sauce’ as it was often prepared table side in a restaurant when ordering gravlax. I find that this sauce goes well with so many preparations from fish to poultry or pork, vegetables and on sandwiches. It only takes about 5 minutes to prepare and will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.
Both whole-grain and Dijon mustards are used in this recipe. You could even add some Pickled Mustard Seeds for extra texture and flavor. I use sunflower oil for a light, neutral flavor but canola or even a mild olive oil will work. White or apple cider vinegar both taste nice in this recipe.
Start by combining the vinegar, sugar, mustards and a little salt in a bowl.
Next, slowly whisk in the oil in a thin stream so that it will emulsify with the other ingredients. Take your time so that the sauce does not separate. The mixture should become glossy and slightly thick.
Add the fresh chopped dill and check flavor to see if a bit more salt is needed for balance.
Transfer the sauce to a jar or other container and store refrigerated until ready to use. Delicious served with Aquavit Cured Gravlax with Caraway, Fennel and Juniper or try in Salmon Smörgås . Enjoy!
Sweet Mustard Sauce
- 3 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar, depending on sweetness desired
- 2 tablespoons white or apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup mild vegetable oil, sunflower, canola or mild olive
- salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Combine mustards, sugar, vinegar and a little salt in a medium bowl, whisking to combine.
- Slowly whisk in oil in a slow stream, taking time to allow the mixture to emulsify.
- Mix in fresh dill and taste seasoning to see if additional salt is needed for balance.
- Store Sweet Mustard Sauce in a glass jar or other container under refrigeration until ready to use. Will last for about 2 weeks.
- Fresh dill may be omitted if you want just a straight mustard flavor.
- Try adding some Pickled Mustard Seeds for extra flavor and texture.
- Delicious served with Aquavit Cured Gravlax with Caraway, Fennel and Juniper
- Use as a spread for Salmon Smörgås