A delicious chilled soup with golden tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and creamy avocado that comes together in minutes!
There is just something about yellow tomatoes that I have always loved. This summer I had a new variety growing in my garden called “Nature’s Riddle”. These sweet, meaty GIANT beauties ranged from pale gold to deep sunset colors. These tomato plants were champion producers, so the time was right for golden gazpacho!
Gazpacho is one of my favorite things to make in the summer and this Golden Gazpacho is sublime! I was thrilled to use harvest the golden tomatoes, yellow bell peppers, lemon cucumbers and herbs from my garden.
To create a golden gazpacho, I kept my vegetable color hue in the golden realm with the tomatoes, pepper, cucumber and onion. If you do not have access to yellow cucumbers, just peel green ones! My lemon cucumbers have a thin skin, so I can skip that step. Good quality sherry vinegar and extra virgin olive oil are a MUST. What you put in is what you get out! Italian parsley and mint add freshness and the avocado creates a wonderful creamy texture.
The wonderful thing about this golden gazpacho is that it comes together in minutes! Once you chop the vegetables (which requires zero precision), throw everything in the blender and puree. Simply season to taste with the salt and vinegar (I tend to like a little extra).
Once the golden gazpacho is seasoned, pour it into a large glass container and refrigerate until ready to eat. The flavors of this soup actually improve after a couple of days, so make it in advance!
Serve the soup in chilled bowls with a drizzle of olive oil and a little more chopped tomato, avocado and fresh herbs. I like to enjoy the golden gazpacho with my Lemon Rosemary Zucchini Bread and a crisp Spanish white wine. Enjoy!!
Suggested Wine Pairing:
Rueda Nisia Las Suertes Verdejo, Old Vines 2018
- High speed blender
- 2 pounds ripe yellow tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 yellow or green cucumber, peeled and seeded, roughly chopped
- 1 golden bell pepper, ribs removed, seeded and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small ripe avocado, chopped
- ½ cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons good-quality sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt, to taste
- ½ cup good-quality extra virgin olive oil
- Chopped yellow tomato, avocado and fresh herbs, for garnish
- Good-quality extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Add the vegetables, avocado, herbs, sherry vinegar and lemon juice to the blender and puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt.
- With the blender on low speed, gradually add the olive oil until incorporated. Check the seasoning again, adding more vinegar or salt, if desired.
- Pour the gazpacho into a large glass container (I use a 2-quart Mason jar) and refrigerate until very cold.
- Serve the golden gazpacho in chilled bowls and garnish with additional chopped tomato, avocado, herbs and a drizzle of olive oil.
Tips for Success:
- Make sure your tomatoes and avocado are very ripe to get the best flavor.
- Be sure to use a high-quality sherry vinegar and extra virgin olive oil, Spanish varieties if possible!
- The gazpacho develops its best flavor after a day or two of refrigeration, so plan ahead!
- The gazpacho will keep well under refrigeration for up to a week.
Suggested Wine Pairing:
- Rueda Nisia Las Suertes Verdejo, Old Vines 2018