Seeded Scandinavian Crisps are savory, crunchy, flavorful and the perfect base for cheeses, hummus, tinned fish or any of your favorite toppings!
I have always enjoyed making my own crackers and flatbreads. There is nothing like a warm batch coming out of the oven just waiting to be slathered in something delicious! My seeded Scandinavian Scandinavian Crisps are the perfect vehicle for all kinds of savory toppings and can be personalized to your own flavor preferences. The rye, oat and caraway flavors in this recipe bring a delightful Scandinavian personality while the seaweed adds the perfect touch of umami and hints of the Scandinavian coast.
I find that this recipe works best when the ingredients are weighed out vs. using measuring cups. The scale method also allows for easy substitutions in seeds or flours to suit your taste. White or whole wheat flour may be substituted for the rye flour. Poppy seeds, cumin seeds or other spices will create unique crisp flavors!
Dump all dry ingredients in a large bowl and then add the oil and water. I like olive oil but canola, avocado or coconut oil would also work well.
The dough will be very dense and sticky. Try putting a little olive oil on your hands for a final mixing.
Place half of the dough on a sheet of parchment paper. Top with another sheet and use a rolling pin to spread the dough between the sheets.
Try to roll the dough as thin as possible and then prick it all over with a fork to allow steam to escape while baking.
Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to score the dough into small squares or rectangles and place the parchment sheet of dough on a baking sheet pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until firm and golden. Once cool, break the crisps apart along the score lines.
Store the Seeded Scandinavian Crisps in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy them as a snack on their own or top them any way you like! My favorite topping is my Rye Berry Caviar. Enjoy!!
Seeded Scandinavian Crisps
- 4 oz. rolled oats
- 4 oz. rye flour
- 2 oz. flaxmeal
- 2 oz. shelled raw sunflower seeds
- 2 oz. raw green pumpkin seeds
- 1 oz. white sesame seeds
- ½ oz. Seaweed, crumbled (1 package of seaweed snacks is a perfect amount)
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 oz. water
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle in oil and water and mix with a wooden spoon or oiled hands until well combined. The dough will be very thick and sticky.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Gather up half of the dough and place between two sheets of parchment paper. Carefully roll out with a rolling pin until the dough is quite thin and even. Remove the top sheet of parchment. Prick the dough all over with a fork. Score the dough into squares or small rectangles with a pizza cutter or knife. Sprinkle the dough with sea salt.
- Lift the dough on the parchment onto a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes until firm and starting to brown. Remove from oven and repeat with remaining dough.
- Once cool, break apart the crisps along the scored lines. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
- White, whole wheat or oat flour may be substituted for the rye flour.
- Poppy seeds, cumin seeds and other spices will create unique crisp flavors!
- For a crisp that would be delicious with jam or sweeter toppings, try omitting the seaweed.