These hearty muffins are both sweet and savory from the unique wild blueberry salt produced from the Arctic Sea and Norwegian forests and mountains.Jump to Recipe
I love a baked good that has both sweet and savory components, and I never shy away from salt in desserts or other sweets. I was recently gifted an amazing collection of wildcrafted sea salts from Flora Fungi Fauna. These salts are made in Nordland, Norway using ingredients that are hand-harvested in the far northern Nordic wilderness. This company makes sustainable and environmentally friendly products and all of their packaging is biodegradable and recyclable. I instantly fell in love with the Arctic Bilberry Salt, made from mixing Arctic Sea Salt with wild blueberries from Arctic Norwegian forests and mountains. I used this salt in both the batter and the crumble topping for these Blueberry Oat & Rye Muffins.
Flora Fungi Fauna is based in the valley of Saltdal in Nordland, Norway. The company is deeply passionate about plants, mushrooms, animals, foraging, fishing, hunting, food, nutrition, and natural lifestyle. In other words, they are right up my alley! I was so pleased when they asked if I wanted to test out some of their beautiful sea salts.
The Arctic Bilberry (wild blueberry) salt is produced from hand-harvested berries in the northern Norwegian mountain forests. It is a wonderful seasoning for both sweet and savory dishes and it even smells of wild blueberries.
The blueberry essence is nicely contrasted by the earthy rye flour in this recipe. I used oats in both flake and flour form, as well as oat milk. Flax meal and applesauce provide some extra richness while maple syrup gives a touch of sweetness.
The Blueberry Oat & Rye Muffins are easily prepared by hand. First combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together the eggs and liquids separately and then mix in.
I like to use an ice cream scoop for even portioning into the muffin tins. I chose tall parchment liners to give these muffins room to grow while baking.
Rather than stir the blueberries into the batter (which you may certainly do), I prefer to tuck them in, muffin by muffin, for an even distribution of berries. I like to add a few extra at the top.
The delicious and savory Arctic Bilberry Salted Almond Crumble topping is a simple mix of sliced raw almonds, maple syrup and the Arctic bilberry salt. Spoon an even amount on top of each muffin.
Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
The finished muffins are a bit dense, but in the most wonderful hearty way, and oozing with fresh blueberry juices.
I can’t say enough good things about these salts. They are available straight from Norway and be sure to look for the lingonberry, juniper berry and mushroom versions.
Blueberry Oat & Rye Muffins with Arctic Bilberry Salted Almond Crumble are an exceptional Fika time, breakfast or brunch treat. Enjoy!
Blueberry Oat & Rye Muffins with Arctic Bilberry Salted Almond Crumble
For the Muffins:
- 1 ½ cups rye flour
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Arctic Bilberry salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon finely grated citrus zest, orange or lemon
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup oat milk
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
For the Arctic Bilberry Salted Almond Crumble
- 1 cup sliced raw almonds
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Arctic Bilberry salt, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and citrus zest and mix well to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, oat milk, applesauce, canola oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop or spoon, portion the batter evenly into the 12 muffin liners. Tuck an even amount of blueberries into each muffin, adding extra to the tops.
- Top each muffin with an even amount of crumble (see below).
- Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on a rack
Arctic Bilberry Salted Almond Crumble:
- Combine the almonds, maple syrup and salt until coated.