Vegan Swedish Chocolate Balls have all the wonderful flavor and texture of traditional Chokladbollar but contain coconut oil in place of butter. They are a delicious and healthy treat to enjoy for Fika or anytime!Jump to Recipe
Chokladbollar or Chocolate Balls, are found in most Swedish bakeries and cafés yet are very popular to make at home because they are so easy. The traditional Swedish Chocolate Balls have lots of creamy butter and rich cocoa flavor with a touch of coffee, offset by the chewy oats. You will find them rolled in coconut, pearl sugar, nuts or other toppings and heaped on platters atop bakery counters. Some of them are quite large in size and definitely more than a mouthful! Below you will find an equally delicious vegan version which uses virgin coconut oil in place of the butter.
Vegan Swedish Chocolate Balls have a base of chewy oats (use gluten-free if you want to avoid any trace of gluten), natural cocoa powder and virgin coconut oil. Virgin coconut oil is extracted from the fresh milk of coconuts using cold process which maintains all the natural elements, aromas, and antioxidants of the oil. It is much more flavorful than basic coconut oil, which is important in an unbaked recipe like this. I have also substituted coconut sugar for regular cane sugar. Coconut sugar is made from sap of the coconut palm and is minimally processed so it retains nutrients such as iron, zinc, calcium and potassium. It has a flavor similar to brown sugar which adds a nice richness to these Vegan Swedish Chocolate Balls.
In a food processor, grind together the oats, coconut sugar, cocoa powder and salt until fine.
Add the coconut oil, cooled coffee and vanilla. Process until the mixture is well-combined and comes together.
Use a small cookie scoop or spoon to scoop out walnut-sized amounts of the mixture. Roll with your hands into smooth balls and coat with unsweetened shredded coconut.
Store the Vegan Swedish Chocolate Balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Bring to room temperature for serving to have the best flavor and texture.
Vegan Swedish Chocolate Balls are a perfect Fika treat, snack or dessert anytime! Great to pack in lunches or take hiking for a little energy boost.
Vegan Swedish Chocolate Balls (Chokladbollar)
- 2 cups gluten-free oats
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup virgin coconut oil, solid at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cooled strong coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Shredded unsweetened coconut, for rolling
- Using a food processor, grind together the oats, coconut sugar, cocoa powder and salt until fine.
- Add the coconut oil, cooled coffee and vanilla and process until well-mixed. The mixture should come together when squeezed with your fingertips.
- Using a small cookie scoop or spoon, portion the mixture evenly into walnut or golfball-sized pieces and use your hands to roll into smooth balls.
- Roll each ball in some of the shredded coconut to coat.
- Store the Vegan Swedish Chocolate Balls in an air-tight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Bring to room temperature for serving.