Tinned Octopus Bites are simple yet super flavorful tapas that take advantage of tender, preserved octopus.Jump to Recipe
I love, love, love tinned fish. I have fond memories of eating plump, smoky oysters and sardines straight from the can as a child with my father and grandfather. Today, I love nothing more than putting together a tinned fish party for friends. Tinning is an amazing way of preserving fish at its peak when it is first caught and in season. The tinned fish market is hot these days, offering so many high-quality options from reputable and sustainably fished waters around the world. Tinned Octopus Bites are a great introduction to how easy to use and delicious tinned seafood can be!
Tinned Octopus Bites have very simple yet premium ingredients: smoked paprika, fresh Italian parsley, good sea salt, high-quality olive oil, fresh lemon, and wild Spanish octopus.
Matiz Wild Octopus comes from the Atlantic waters off the shores of Spain, Portugal, and Morocco. These areas are renowned for their rich marine life. Wild-caught in traditional octopus pots, this delicious octopus is hand-packed in Galicia with Spanish olive oil and a touch of sea salt. Tinning helps to tenderize the octopus, yielding a product that is plump and silky on the palate.
Preparing the Tinned Octopus Bites:
Start by heating a bit of olive oil in a sauté pan with the smoked paprika.
Once the oil and spice start to bubble and froth, add the tinned octopus with juices and all. Heat this mixture over a gentle medium-low flame.
Add the freshly chopped Italian parsley.
Give a good squeeze of lemon and season to taste with the sea salt.
Transfer the warm Tinned Octopus Bites into ceramic spoons or other serving vessel and garnish with a little more chopped parsley. Serve immediately, preferably with a lovely bubbly like Champagne Aubry Brut Rosé or perhaps a Spanish Vinho Verde. These lovely bites are a perfect appetizer to share with your love on Valentine’s Day.
Tinned Octopus Bites
- Ceramic spoons, for serving
- 4 ounce tin wild octopus
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin Spanish olive oil
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped Italian parsley
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- Sea salt, to taste
- Heat the olive oil and paprika in a small sauté pan until bubbly and frothy.
- Add the entire tin of octopus, juices and all. Heat gently over medium-low flame.
- Add 2 tablespoons chopped parsley and a generous squeeze of lemon to the pan.
- Season to taste with the sea salt and garnish with the remaining chopped parsley.
- Serve the octopus immediately in ceramic spoons as an appetizer.
Wine Pairing Suggestions:
- The Champagne Aubrey Brut Rose is bright and tangy, with smoky notes beneath the flavors of tart apple, fresh cherry, and juicy white peach. The texture is lacy, with a wonderful mineral finish making it just perfect for the smoky, briny Tinned Octopus bites!