Wild Plum Crumble is filled with tart and juicy ripe plums and crowned with a crispy cardamom almond topping.Jump to Recipe
For me, the best desserts come together in a short amount of time, yet taste like they took a lot of effort to make. This wild plum crumble is just like that. So much flavor, comforting texture, warming spices…and so easy to make. The hardest part is pitting the plums! I had the great fortune of being gifted these gorgeous wild black plums from a ranch in northeast Colorado. They are tiny, but have such intense flavor and well worth the effort of pitting them all. If you don’t have access to wild plums, just get the most ripe and flavorful variety you can.
Ingredients for the Wild Plum Crumble:
For this recipe, I used dark brown sugar to further enhance the deep plum flavor. Cornstarch helps soak up and thicken the juices during baking. Fresh lemon brings out a tart contrast to the sweet essence of the cinnamon, cardamom, and vanilla. A combination of blanched almond flour and whole raw almonds creates a nice crispy texture to the crumble topping.
Mixing and Assembly:
Toss plums, lemon zest and juice, cornstarch, brown sugar, salt, cardamom, and cinnamon to coat in a large bowl.
Transfer the plum mixture to a deep 13 x 9-inch baking dish or deep 10-inch pie plate.
Use a food processor to pulse together the crumble topping ingredients.
Pulse in the butter until the mixture comes together.
Scatter the crumble topping evenly over the plums.
Bake at 350 F for about 35 minutes, or until the wild plum crumble is bubbling and golden brown.
The crispy crumble morsels are my favorite part!!
Cool the wild plum crumble slightly before serving and pair with your favorite coffee and people 🙂
Wild Plum Crumble
- 3 pounds ripe plums, pitted and sliced any variety
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ plus ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup blanched fine almond flour
- ¼ cup raw almonds
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Toss plums, lemon zest and juice, cornstarch, ½ cup brown sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ cardamom, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Using a food processor, pulse together the remaining brown sugar, sea salt, spices, almond flour, and almonds until fine. Pulse in the butter until mixture starts to form larger clumps.
- Transfer the plum mixture to a deep 13 x 9-inch baking dish or deep 10-inch pie plate.
- Scatter the topping evenly over the plums.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until filling is bubbling and crumble topping is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving.
- Delicious with some cardamom ice cream on the side!