Curried Chicken Salad Buns with Peas and Greens are delightful Danish-style open-face sandwiches. Warm curry, fresh peas, and zesty micro greens add brightness to the creamy chicken atop chewy Rye Berry Buns.Jump to Recipe
When my family and I visited Scandinavia last summer, one of the highlights was a visit to Copenhagen. Although we were only there briefly, we devoured as much of the local fare as possible, including plenty of Smørrebrød. There are countless varieties of Danish open-face sandwiches, but we particularly liked Hønsesalat, or “hen salad”. This is not your average chicken and mayo salad; it has mushrooms, mustard, crème fraîche, and a dash of curry powder. Asparagus, peas, or bacon are often included, either as toppings or within the hønsesalat itself. My Curried Chicken Salad Buns with Peas and Greens take inspiration from this flavorful Danish classic and are just right for the change of seasons into spring.
I like using leftover roast chicken for this recipe, but any cooked chicken will do. Thawed frozen petite peas (if fresh are not available), diced celery root, chopped sweet pickles, and capers add both crunch and zesty flavor. Mayo, Dijon mustard and curry powder make up the creamy dressing. You can also just use my recipe for Danish Remoulade to dress the salad. Garnish with fresh micro greens or flavorful radish sprouts. I love using my Rye Berry Buns as the base, but any dense, chewy rye will work.
The Process for making Curried Chicken Salad Buns with Peas and Greens:
Mix the dressing, then add all remaining ingredients except the greens. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and add more curry if your tastebuds desire.
Top sliced buns or squares of bread with some of the salad, then garnish with the fresh greens.
The Curried Chicken Salad has a creaminess that is a nice contrast to the fresh greens and crunchy ingredients.
Serve your Curried Chicken Salad Buns with Peas and Greens for an afternoon Fika, or include them in your next springtime brunch or picnic!
Curried Chicken Salad Buns with Peas and Greens
- ½ cup prepared mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon or whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon curry powder, or to taste
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound chopped roast chicken
- ½ cup petite peas, thawed from frozen or blanched fresh
- ¼ cup finely chopped celery root or celery stalks
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet pickle
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Microgreens or radish sprouts, for garnish
- 1 batch Rye Berry Buns or dense dark rye bread, sliced
- In a large bowl, whisk together the prepared mayonnaise, mustard, and curry powder. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the greens and coat thoroughly.
- Spoon some of the salad onto each Rye Berry Bun half or sliced rye and top with some of the greens.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Any leftover salad may be refrigerated for up to 3 days.